31. Hubert, S. M., and Athrey, G. (2020). Energy metabolism and sources of oxidative stress in wooden breast – a review. F1000Research, 9, 319. https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.23296.1.
30. Peer SM, Athrey G. Selection for growth traits, and age differentiate woody breast specific gene expression in chicken. In Review. View Preprint.
29. Williams, T., and Athrey, G. (2020). Cloacal Swabs Are Unreliable Sources for Estimating Lower Gastro-Intestinal Tract Microbiota Membership and Structure in Broiler Chickens. Microorganisms.
28. Athrey, G., Popkin-Hall, Z., Cosme, L. V., Takken, W., and Slotman, M. A. (2020). Species and sex-specific chemosensory gene expression in Anopheles coluzzii and An. quadriannulatus antennae. Parasites & Vectors, 13(1), 212. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13071-020-04085-3.
27. Nelson, J. R., Sobotik, E. B., Athrey, G., and Archer, G. S. (2020). Effects of supplementing yeast fermentate in the feed or drinking water on stress susceptibility, plasma chemistry, cytokine levels, antioxidant status, and stress- and immune-related gene expression of broiler chickens. Poultry Science. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psj.2020.03.037.
26. Aguirre, M. E., Leyva-Jimenez, H., Travis, R., Lee, J., Athrey, G., and Alvarado, C. Z. (2020). Evaluation of growth production factors as predictors of the incidence and severity of white striping and woody breast in broiler chickens. Poultry Science. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psj.2020.03.026.
25. Ma, L., Li, H., Hu, J., Zheng, J., Zhou, J., Botchlett, R., Matthews, D., Zeng, T., Chen, L., Xiao, X., Athrey, G., Threadgill, D., Li, Q., Glaser, S., Francis, H., Meng, F., Li, Q., Alpini, G., and Wu, C. (2020). Indole Alleviates Diet-induced Hepatic Steatosis and Inflammation in a Manner Involving Myeloid Cell PFKFB3. Hepatology. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.31115.
24. Al-Ajeeli, M. N., Hubert, S. M., Leyva-Jimenez, H., Hashim, M. M., Abdaljaleel, R. A., Alsadwi, A. M., Athrey, G., and Bailey, C. A. (2020). Impacts of Dietary Protein and Prebiotic Inclusion on Liver and Spleen Gene Expression in Hy-Line Brown Caged Layers. Animals : An Open Access Journal from MDPI, 10(3). https://doi.org/10.3390/ani10030453.
23. Hubert, S. M., Al-Ajeeli, M., Bailey, C. A., and Athrey, G. (2019). The role of housing environment and dietary protein source on the gut microbiota of chicken. Animals : An Open Access Journal from MDPI, 9(12). https://doi.org/10.3390/ani9121085.
22. Klerks P, Athrey G, Leberg L. Slow response to selection for increased heat tolerance in a small fish species, with the response decreased by a population bottleneck. 2019 Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 7:270.
21. S. Shivanagoudra, WH Perera, JL Perez, G Athrey, Y Sun, CS Wu, GK Jayaprakasha, BS Patil. In vitro and in silico elucidation of antidiabetic and anti-inflammatory activities of bioactive compounds from Momordica charantia L. 2019 Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 27:2097-3109.
20. Hieke ASC, Peer S.M, Athrey G. 2019 Circadian disruption and divergent microbiota acquisition under extended photoperiods in chicken. PeerJ 7, e6592 .
19. RS Siddanagouda, Wilmer H Perera, Jose L Perez, Giridhar Athrey, Yuxiang Sun, GK Jayaprakasha, Bhimanagouda S Patil. 2019 Cucurbitane-type compounds from Momordica charantia: Isolation, in vitro antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory activities and in silico modeling approaches. Bioorganic Chemistry 87:31-42 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bioorg.2019.02.040.
18. Vuia-Riser J, Hieke ASC, Athrey G, Kerth CR, Taylor TM. 2018 Comparison of buffered peptone water to neutralizing peptone water for Salmonella detection from commercially slaughtered whole chicken carcasses and cut chicken parts. Food Protection Trends (2018) 38:410-420.
16. Levi J, Tamborindeguy C, Athrey G, Scheuring DC, Koym JW; Miller, Jr JC. Transcriptome comparison of Russet Norkotah and its Clonal Selection, TXNS278 (2018) BMC Research Notes 11:160.
15. Athrey G, Cosme L, Pathikonda, S., Takken W, Slotman MA. Differential expression of olfactory genes in the antennae and maxillary palps between the anthropophilic Anopheles gambiae & the zoophilic Anopheles quadriannulatus, (2017). BMC Genomics. 18 (1), 751.
14. Deitz K, Athrey G, Fontaine M, Jawara M, Matias A, Slotman M. Genome-wide divergence in the west-African malaria vector Anopheles melas. G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics. (2016).
13. Athrey G, Lance RF and Leberg PL. Using genealogical mapping and genetic neighborhood sizes to quantify dispersal distances in the neotropical passerine, the Black-capped Vireo. PLoS One DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0140115.
11. Walter ST, Carloss M, Athrey G, Hess T and Leberg PL. Brown Pelican Colony Initiation Attempts: Translocations and Decoys. 2013 Waterbirds 36(1):53-62.
10. Walter ST, Carloss M, Athrey G, Hess T and Leberg PL. Influences of brown pelican demography on population structure and colony size, 2013 The Condor. 115(4):788-799.
8. Deitz KC, Athrey G, Reddy MR, Overgaard HJ, Abrahan Arnez, Moises Atue, Simon Abaga, Adalgisa Caccone, Michel A. Slotman. (2012) Genetic isolation within the malaria mosquito Anopheles melas. Molecular Ecology, 21(18): 4498-4513.
6. Athrey, G, Barr KR, Lance RF and Leberg PL (2012). Birds in space & time: Genetic changes accompanying anthropogenic habitat fragmentation in the endangered black- capped vireo (Vireo atricapilla), Evolutionary Applications, 5(7): 540-55.
5. Barr KR, Athrey G, Lindsay DL, Lance RF, Hayden T, Tweddale S and Leberg PL. Missing the forest for the gene trees: Conservation genetics is more than identification of distinct population segments. The Auk 128(4): 798-794.
3. Fike JA, Athrey G, Bowman R, Leberg PL, and Rhodes Jr., OE. Development of 25 polymorphic microsatellite markers for the red-cockaded woodpecker (Picoides borealis). Conservation Genetics, 2009, 10:1021-1023.
2. Barr KR, Lindsay DL, Athrey G, Lance RF, Hayden T, Tweddale S and Leberg PL. 2008. Population structure in an endangered songbird: maintenance of genetic differentiation despite high vagility and significant population recovery. Molecular Ecology 17:3628-3639.
2. Leberg P, Athrey G, and Barr K. Genetic changes accompanying anthropogenic habitat changes in the Black-capped Vireo , in Conservation and the genetics of populations, 3rd Edition. Edited by Allendorf F, Aitken S, and Luikart G.
1. Leberg PL, Athrey G, Barr KR, Lindsay DL, and Lance RF (2010) Implications of landscape alteration for the conservation of genetic diversity of endangered species. In “Molecular insights into natural resource conservation and management” (J.A. DeWoody, J.W. Bickham, C. Michler, K. Nichols, O.E. Rhodes, and K. Woeste, eds.), Cambridge University Press.
PUBLISHED PROCEEDINGS & THESIS
8. Athrey G et al., (2012) The genetic basis of adaptation to human hosts in the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 87(6s).
7. Hodges TK, Athrey G et al., (2012) The expression of olfaction genes in Anopheles gambiae in relation to human host preference. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 87(5s).
6. Athrey G et al., (2011) The impacts of anti-vector interventions on effective population sizes of African malaria vectors. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 85(4): 280.
5. Athrey G et al., (2010) The molecular evolution of olfaction genes in the Anopheles gambiae complex. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 83(5): 230-230.
4. Athrey G. Birds in Time & Space: Patterns and processes of spatiotemporal genetics in two endangered songbirds. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Louisiana at Lafayette. December 2009.
3. Athrey G., 2004. MS Thesis: Effects of selection for resistance to cadmium on genetic variation in the least Killifish Heterandria formosa. University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
2. Athrey, G., Honors Thesis: Rajashekhara, V., Vilas, P., D’Souza, M., Roopa M, Vishwanathan, G. 2001. A dermatoglyphic study of the mysterious Handigodu Syndrome. St. Josephs College, Bangalore University.
1. Athrey. G, (2000). Epidemiology of Kyasanur Forest Disease: A zoonotic hemorrhagic fever. Bangalore University.